When it comes to maintaining a safe and hygienic commercial kitchen, proper equipment cleaning is non-negotiable. A clean deep fryer not only ensures the quality of your food, but also contributes to the safety of your kitchen staff and the longevity of your equipment. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of how to clean a commercial deep fryer and explore the benefits of regular maintenance.
Step by Step
Follow these steps to efficiently clean your deep fryer and keep it in tip-top shape:
- Turn Off and Cool: Start by turning off the fryer and allowing the oil to cool to a safe temperature. This usually takes 1½ – 2 hours.
- Drain Oil and Remove Baskets: Carefully drain the oil into a suitable container for disposal. Remove the frying baskets and holders. Many state and local governments regulate used cooking oil disposal, so make sure you follow those regulations.
- Scrape Interior: Use a cleaning rod or scraper to gently remove any food particles or debris from the interior of the fryer.
- Brush, Wipe, and Rinse: Use a soft brush to scrub the interior surfaces, followed by wiping them down with a damp cloth. Rinse thoroughly to remove any remaining residue.
- Add Water and Cleaning Solution: Fill the fryer with cool water up to the fill line and add an appropriate cleaning solution as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Boil Water and Solution: Turn on the fryer to bring the water and cleaning solution to a boil. Let it run for 15 to 20 minutes to thoroughly clean the interior.
- Drain Water Slowly: Turn off the fryer and carefully drain the hot water. Ensure a slow drainage to avoid splashes and burns.
- Scrub and Rinse Again: Scrub the inside of the fryer with a soft brush to remove any remaining residue. Rinse thoroughly to eliminate any traces of cleaning solution.
- Reassemble: Wash the fryer baskets and holders separately and let them thoroughly dry. Once dry, reattach them to the fryer.
- Add New Oil: With the fryer clean and dry, it’s time to add fresh cooking oil to continue your culinary adventures.
Deep Fryer Cleaning Schedule
Maintaining a clean deep fryer requires a consistent routine. Here’s a recommended cleaning schedule:
- Daily: Clean the exterior of the fryer, including control panels and handles. Machine-wash the frying baskets and utensils.
- Every 3-6 months: Follow the detailed cleaning steps outlined above for a deep clean. This helps prevent the buildup of stubborn residue and maintains optimal performance.
- Oil Change: Change the oil twice a week for fryers in regular use and once every two weeks for less frequently used fryers. Fresh oil ensures the best frying results.
- Annual Inspection: Have your deep fryers inspected by a qualified food service technician at least once a year to ensure they’re functioning properly and safely.
Using a Professional Fryer Cleaning Service
While regular maintenance is crucial, managing a commercial kitchen is demanding. Enlisting the services of a professional fryer cleaning service offers several advantages:
- Enhanced Safety and Hygiene: Professional cleaners use specialized deep fryer cleaning tools to ensure thorough cleaning, minimizing the risk of accidents and contamination.
- Relieves Kitchen Staff: Outsourcing fryer-cleaning and oil-changing tasks allows your kitchen staff to focus on food preparation and customer service.
- Equipment Longevity: Professional cleaning ensures your deep fryer’s longevity and performance, reducing the need for frequent replacements.
- Specialized Equipment: Professional cleaners possess the tools and expertise to clean every nook and cranny of your fryer efficiently.
- Safe Disposal or Recycling: Professionals handle used cooking oil disposal or recycling responsibly, adhering to environmental regulations.
Maintaining a clean deep fryer is essential for both the food you serve and the safety of your kitchen. Whether you choose to perform the cleaning in-house or opt for professional services, the result is a kitchen that operates smoothly, produces quality food, and ensures the health and satisfaction of both your patrons and staff.
Keep Your Oil Clean with Filta
We’ve got what you’re looking for to keep your deep fryers cooking at their best. Our deep fryer cleaning service will extend the life of your fryer oil, as well as recycle it once it’s time for an oil change, turning your used cooking oil into eco-friendly biodiesel, helping protect the environment while keeping your kitchen running. We also offer additional commercial kitchen maintenance services, including drain cleaning and cold storage humidity control. Request a free demo today to see how Filta can help your kitchen keep cooking.